> Hmmm... this sort of reminds me of a post I saw once
> of someone stating
> that if you didn't write your win32 programs in
> assembly you were going
> for the easy option and weren't _really_ a good
> programmer as you
> weren't thinking performance.

hehe, well writing programs that are massive in
assembly could take years :)

> I'm very far from considering myself as the prime
> example of a great
> programmer:) , however I'm sure that ruby has taught
> me a lot,
> especially in OO and general design of code.

Oh indeed, I am not talking about learning new
techniques in scripting languages, but what you don't
learn from using non-scripting(and considered lower by
others, not me(*C,C++,etc)) languages.

> If using C or C++ I simply
> go for the "shortest route" possible to get results.

Libraries, libraries, libraries! and documentation :)

> It also depends on what your definition of a good
> programmer is. When I
> see someone doing all their web development in C
> (yes I've seen that), I
> don't think "what a great programmer, he can do the
> hardcore stuff". I
> think, "why on earth is he using the wrong tools".

weeell... It is certainly possible to create web
applications in even assembly. I have only practiced
with using C. I wish that I could expand on
programming safely with CGI using C. I don't think it
would be considered using a wrong tool. There is
available documentation for reading on the link below.
I just wish there was a more complex C library for
use.

http://www.cgisecurity.com/

> There's no way I
> would hire such a person, they don't have one of the
> basic qualities of
> being a programmer: laziness.

Don't watch TV?

> Of course I have to agree that I'd have serious
> doubts about anyone who
> had only ever used scripting languages, as it points
> to either
> disinterest in programming or a beginner.

You just insulted most people out there :) You
wouldn't imagine how many applications are being made
in.. php..

php irc bots, php mp3 players(they boot an installed
mp3 library), etc.

I also think those people are really full of
themselves.

So do I like Ruby? Yes. I like many things. Ruby is by
far the most dynamic language I have come to interact
with and like the community despite some people who
are blind.

Thanks for your input, much appriciated.

-- Name: David Ross
-- Phone: 865.539.3798
-- Email: drossruby [at] yahoo [dot] com