On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Phil Tomson wrote:

> I plan to add other process related functions having to do with starting,
> timing and killing Win32 processes (borrowing from some Perl modules like
> Win32::Process for example).  The long range goal would be to duplicate
> the functionality of much of the Perl Win32 module hierarchy.
>
> A couple of questions:
> 1) is anybody else out there doing this already?  I don't want to
> duplicate effort - I notice that there is an SWin module on the RAA, but
> it seems to be oriented toward graphical programming.

I've got some stuff related to Process start and control and registry
access. If you're interested I can send it to you.

> 2) What about naming conventions for the module hierarchy?  Would Win32 be
> an appropriate name for the toplevel module - with things like
> Win32::Admin (a collection of functions for gathering administrative
> details of a system - like the ones I presented above), Win32::Process,
> etc.  We could follow Perl's Win32 module  hierarchy (to make it easier
> for the  Perl refugees :) or we could come up with something on our own.
>
> comments, ideas?

I think you should do a logical naming hierarchy (much like you suggest),
ie. grouping things together that govern related stuff. Ie. dont use a
more "technically" oriented naming close to the windows dll's etc. IMHO,
the added value of a thing like this as opposed to using the existing
Win32API is that you don't need to know about the API and its sometimes
strange functions and naming.

I don't know about the Perl hierarchy though...

Regards,

Robert