Yes, that is the 20 million story. I smile at that one
still. Someone please fwap() me if I ever make a
release with a bug like that :)

It is equally important in any language that mistakes
are not made like this. They are very dangerous. I am
curious on the print functions in Ruby as to if the
ones that are unsafe to use in certain applicatoins
are equally unsafe in Ruby. Of course gets() is
unsafe, it is in every language.

 --David

> Agreed that is a good habit and I can't say I follow
> it myself... if
> you interested I found the 20 million dollar bug on
> google:
> --------
>   In Spring 1993, in the Operating System
> development group at SunSoft,
> we had a "priority one" bug report come in
> describing a problem in the
> asynchronous I/O library. The bug was holding up the
> sale of $20
> million worth of hardware to a customer who
> specifically needed the
> library functionality, so we were extremely
> motivated to find it. After
> some intensive debugging sessions, the problem was
> finally traced to a
> statement that read:
>
>   x==2;
>
>   It was a typo for what was intended to be an
> assignment statement. The
> programmer's finger had bounced on the "equals" key,
> accidentally
> pressing it twice instead of once. The statement as
> written compared x
> to 2, generated true or false, and discarded the
> result.
>
>   C is enough of an expression language that the
> compiler did not
> complain about a statement which evaluated an
> expression, had no
> side-effects, and simply threw away the result. We
> didn't know whether
> to bless our good fortune at locating the problem,
> or cry with
> frustration at such a common typing error causing
> such an expensive
> problem. Some versions of the lint program would
> have detected this
> problem, but it's all too easy to avoid the
> automatic use of this
> essential tool.
> --------
> -Charlie

-- Name: David Ross
-- Phone: 865.539.3798
-- Email: drossruby [at] yahoo [dot] com