Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:
>
>> I was playing with ripper and I found it documented that it
>> requires bison (because of %pure_parser and thread safety issues
>> which I don't really understand).
>>
>> I'm wondering: What's involved in getting bison to generate a
>> language other than C? Is it just a matter of providing a
>> "skeleton" file, or is there much more to it?
>>
>> Thanks for any clues...
>>
>> Hal
>

> you need a bnf for the language and a scanner to give tokens from that bnf
> (yacc).
>
> regards.
>
> -a

I believe Hal's question is how to use bison to generate the parser
*implementation* in a language other than C.

In ripper's case, I think it translates the generated C code to Ruby
code... I could be confusing ripper with other Ruby parser generator's
that I've looked at--it's been awhile since I've looked at any of them.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu