Kaspar Schiess wrote:

> Robert Feldt wrote:
>
> | Does RubyGems currently support precompiled binary gems so that I can
> | make one gem that then unpacks the right versions of the so/dll files
> | for the platform?
>
> Rubygems has no trouble with binary files in the newest version. I am
> building RMagick as a binary gem for the windows platform and this seems
> to work a charm for many people. What is the part that you don't
> understand ? Maybe I could give you more specific help than just a
> general how-to ?
>
> - --
> kaspar

I believe, the plan for binary RubyGems was to allow you to build separate
binary gems for each platform and the user could then ask for the gem to be
installed using its base name, and RubyGems would automatically select the
correct binary gem for the user's platform (or build from source if no
binary gem was available). I don't know if this has been implemented yet.

Curt