On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:15:26AM +0900, David A. Black wrote:
> > my_obj = boxWidget.new
> > my_obj.instance_eval do
> >   @x = 0
> >   @y = 10
> >   @width = 100
> >   @height = 100
> > end
> >
> > Though doing so will make you code fairly fragile - setting variables in
>
> sub(/fairly/,"extremely") :-) There's absolutely no guarantee of a
> one-to-one correspondence between instance variables and setter/getter
> methods -- and the way those methods are implemented could even change
> from one release of a library to another.

If the following syntax is acceptable

 my_obj.with do
 	x = 0
	y = 10
	width = 100
	height = 100
	_
 end

you can make it 'setter-safe' (i.e. go through the normal attribute
setters instead of bypassing them and assigning to the iv.s directly)
trivially with Kernel#local_variables.

You'll have to make sure you are introducing new variables (not reusing
the ones from the outer scope) though, since otherwise there's no way
to know which locals you used in the with block, short of using
set_trace_func or doing  my_obj.with %{  ..... }.

And this won't work with Rite.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com