Andreas Schwarz wrote:

>> Your example seems to be very easy to test; feed it a few different
>> files and compare the output to the expected result. This is especially
>> helpful to make sure that you
> DON'T
>> break anything when you change the code.

In terms of the programs function, this is of course true, however  I ran it
in an error (missing file ) condition, and found IIRC that I'd not defined
BAD_FILE, or it was BAD_FIEL, or something.  This is a pain as it means for
a small script a lot of testing, potentially, unless I just get lazy and
write teh same exit code for everything, which is sort of OK, but this
applies to all sorts of things  - even a small program has many branches.
Graham

--
The answer's always "Yes".  Now, what's the question?