Robert Klemme wrote:

> "Andreas Schwarz" <usenet / andreas-s.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:4129dc1a$0$6639$9b4e6d93 / newsread4.arcor-online.net...
>> Graham Nicholls wrote:
>> > Apologies if its a FAQ, but is there a way I can check my syntax for
> errors
>> > that would otherwise only appear at runtime?  You know the sort of
> thing:
>> >
>> >         some code
>> >         rescue => err
>> >                 exit (LOGIC_ERR)
>> >
>> >         end
>> >
>> > which when run fails because LOGIC_ERR is undefined
>>
>> This is no syntax error, and it can only be detected at runtime.
>
> Exactly!
>
> For completeness reasons: syntax can be checked by doing "ruby -c".
>
> Kind regards
>
>     robert
OK, so its not a syntax error. Pedants :-) There ought to be a utility to
look for variable references, etc.  Now, I realize that this may be hard as
its presumably akin to part of writing a compile.  What I'd like to know,
then is how to avoid the above - its a real nuisance in "scripting
languages" (Oh and if you don't like that term, get over it - you know what
I mean, python, perl(ugh!) Ruby & the like)
Ta.
Graham
--
The answer's always "Yes".  Now, what's the question?