Hi,

  In mail "Parsing Ruby..."
    Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:

> I'm about to delve into the mysteries of parsing Ruby.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. I seem to remember that ripper is "the future" of Ruby
>     parsing, correct?

In this month I met matz and got an agreement to commit ripper
in the standard distribution.  I'll commit it in the very near
future (in this weekend, for example).

At the same time, matz is saying that he is writing a new parser.
I don't know when it reaches production level.

> 2. But apparently now we are still using parse.c which is
>     generated by yacc?

Ripper also uses yacc.
It is just an improvement patch for current parser.

> 3. My impression was that ripper itself could not create
>     an AST... correct or no??

Mark Sparshatt is working for ripper based AST.
See ripper repository hosted on RubyForge.

Regards,
Minero Aoki