On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:34:02AM +0900, Hal Fulton wrote:
> Well, I owe you an apology for the Monty Python reference. It's
> not my intention to insult you.

thank you. no problem.

> Let me attempt to be constructive.

thanks hal.

> The common perception was, I think, that a vim clone would implement
> at least a large subset of vim's features. Objectively, ruvi isn't
> there yet. Subjectively, everyone uses/likes different features of
> vim anyway. Even if it implemented 95% of vim, there would still be
> people who would want some obscure feature and throw up their hands
> because it wasn't there.

agreed

> FWIW, here are some of the vim commands I use (all I can think of).
> The least frequently used is ^V -- the others I use pretty much on
> a daily basis.

i use ^V very frequently in fact :)

> :i,j<cmd>  [ak: moved this line]
> [n]cw

numbers/rangfes previous to commands isn't that generic yet
will be done after i return from holidays hopefully.

> z. z- and z+

interesting. never seen these before

> ZZ

good point. missed this one

> :f

didn't know about this one :)
but reminded me that i need to implement ctrl-g :)

> :r

interesting :)
:rblah iirc i already implemented
but :r behaviour is funny :)

> :!shellcmd

while :r!shellcmd
does work i didn't do ! style filtering yet.
on todo list now :)

> ~

eek. never knew this one.
always use gUl :)

true. missed this.

> ^Y
> ^E

ummm possible missing. can't recall.

> m and '

missing at the moment. i could
never find a good use for marks.
anyone got a nice non-interactive
example for a usage? (as in a nice
command rather than just use as a
bookmark i don't find single letters
all that useful :)

i'd prefer a class browser with
tags - press a shortcut on the
given class and it will be highlighted
thusly enabling easy find next time...
umm... interesting new feature :)

> %
> :%s/regex/text/[g]
> :i,js/regex/text[g]

all three missing pretty simple though
but :g otoh will be a while load of work :)
:g//normal though is fairly easy and i actually
find this *much* more useful. thanks gavin :)

> Thanks for all your work, and good luck with this project.

thanks very much for this extremely constructive positing :)
and thanks to all for the followups :)

Alex

--
Ummmmm ... Beeeeeeeeerrr.....