On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Carl Youngblood wrote:

> True that in this particular case threads aren't necessary, but it
> would still be nice to know if  fcgi is thread-safe for other
> purposes, such as that automatic process reloader that you and I were
> talking about a while back.

oh yeah - non-output related thread would indeed be nice.  although i must add
that even that code is just as easily implemented w/o threads: just check
after each request is handled and exit if the source is updated (or on some
other condition).

in the end, the route i took was to test via a link

   page.cgi -> page.fcgi

since this will be loaded everytime, and simply reload the fcgi when i was
satisfied.  ended up being just as easy.

you still doing much fcgi work then?  i haven't been able to do anything web
related lately... ;-(

-a

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:11:00 +0900, Ara.T.Howard <ahoward / noaa.gov> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2004, George Moschovitis wrote:
>>
>>> Somewhat related to the earlier post:
>>>
>>> Some time ago another ruby user tried UNSUCCESSFULLY the following code:
>>>
>>> FCGI.each do |fcgi|
>>>  Thread.new(fcgi) { |f|
>>>      f.out.print "Content-type:  text/html\r\n\r\n"
>>>      f.out.print f.out.type, "<br>\n"
>>>   }
>>> end
>>>
>>> matz replied:
>>>
>>> fcgi is not thread-safe.  Unlike other IO facilities, it does not try to
>>> avoid IO blocking.  I'll make fcgi thread-safe soon (or I hope someone
>>> voluneer to update it).
>>>
>>> Is fcgi thread safe now ? Can code like this work with fcgi?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> George Moschovitis
>>
>> what will this buy you?  fastcgi is process based from apache's point of view
>> - it's not going to send another request until it gets all the output from the
>> first one so this approach buys you nothing.  in fact, it should slow a
>> fastcgi process down since it now has the cost of creating a thread for every
>> request.  also, if the load is very high for a particular fcgi program
>> mod_fastcgi will start another one to manage the load (process pools).  in
>> short, i think this will only complicate matters for no improvement.
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -a
>> --
>> | EMAIL   :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
>> | PHONE   :: 303.497.6469
>> | A flower falls, even though we love it;
>> | and a weed grows, even though we do not love it.
>> |   --Dogen

-a