Great! Thanks for the quick response. Just another quick one on that context:

Now that I have the class definition and can extend it easily, I'm
wondering how I would do

qux = Klass.new

using str1 or klass. I could do

eval "qux = #{str}.new"

and that would be fine, but it somehow seems forced. Any hints?