On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:16:55 +0900, Dave Thomas <dave / pragprog.com> wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2004, at 11:09, vruz wrote:
>
> Instead, it seems like it would be more productive for the teams to get
> together to work out synergies and produce a unified system the
> benefits everyone.

What isn't really coming out in this thread is that (at least)
Mauricio and I speak about RPA and RubyGems fairly often, mostly via
IRC.  We've talked about ways that RPA and gems can work together.  I
agree that the RPA idea has the potential to add value on top of gems
(or RPA-base in the most obvious case).  To be fair about the
knocking, you'll notice that there isn't much knocking coming from the
actual creator of RPA or the creators of RubyGems.  We're certainly at
philosophical odds at times, but we try not to defame or devalue each
other's work.

Ultimately more and better code/libraries that are easy to find and
install make the Ruby community and language stronger.  RPA and
RubyGems are both altruistically striving to help meet that need, but
with different goals and from different perspectives.