vruz wrote:

> Quoting from:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems/
>
> "RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party
> libraries."
>
> But of course it's too late to fix that, once the impression has
> gained mindshare in
> the community.
>
> Whilst I believe many are guided by their strong passion and most
> honest behaviour,
> this sort of statements can be regarded as undesirable, especially
> when there is
> also other people devoting countless hours, days and months of hard
> work to the benefit
> of this very community as well.

I confess to not having the time to read every message on ruby-talk, so
if I missed something it is likely my own fault. My impression is that
the discussion of RubyGems, and the goal of having it become a Ruby
standard (either de facto or de jure) was pretty clear.  And discussion
of alternative projects was scant or non-existent.

It seems to me that RPA appears to have suddenly emerged after a period
of quiet development.	If there were people opposed to RubyGems being
promoted as a standard, or the standard, I don't recall reading anything
about it until fairly recently.

Or, put another way, I believe that people were happy to see RubyGems as
a standard, even if there were disagreements over some of the
implementation details.

(But I've been predisposed to follow RubyGem progress, having seen
hyperactive geeks coding in a bar, late at night, in Austin.)

James