> > The fact that a given person opts to have a low-profile personality
> > and tries not to offend a team of professional programmers by
> > patching a great deal of the code they have wrote,  is not IMHO
> > a valid reason why  he should submit himself to the guidelines
> > and  work processes of a given project.
>
> No doubt, this is excellent and commendable!

I was going to make this point, it's ridiculous to go counting lines in order
to realize of this.

> > To my knowledge, Rubygems is not a blessed standard as it still claims
> > to be, and it's a rather uncomfortable practice within an open-source
> > community when people try to impose something that clearly doesn't
> > fit their purposes, interests, likes or dislikes.

> RubyGems aspires to be a standard, but has never claimed to be one.

Quoting from:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems/

"RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third party
libraries."

But of course it's too late to fix that, once the impression has
gained mindshare in
the community.

Whilst I believe many are guided by their strong passion and most
honest behaviour,
this sort of statements can be regarded as undesirable, especially
when there is
also other people devoting countless hours, days and months of hard
work to the benefit
of this very community as well.

> > Believe me I love good engineering, and I hate effort duplication.
> >
> > But I love free speech more.
> I agree, wholeheartedly.

Thank you Curt, and I hope all of us share this, Res Non Verba.

best,

                                vruz