> Same point as above, rpa could provide those advantage as a layer over
> rubygems without having to reinvent the distribution layer.

Please count the lines of code Mauricio Fernandez has kindly
provided to the Rubygems project.
(if that's possible, not sure who applied the code on behalf of him,
or under which user account he did that)

Add other patches Mauricio Fernandez has provided to the Rubygems
team, but were (quickly) dismissed,  and  later reimplemented by
the Rubygems team.

Compare this number to the total lines of code in Ruybgems.

The fact that a given person opts to have a low-profile personality
and tries not to offend a team of professional programmers by
patching a great deal of the code they have wrote,  is not IMHO
a valid reason why  he should submit himself to the guidelines
and  work processes of a given project.

To my knowledge, Rubygems is not a blessed standard as it still claims
to be, and it's a rather uncomfortable practice within an open-source
community when people try to impose something that clearly doesn't
fit their purposes, interests, likes or dislikes.

Believe me I love good engineering, and I hate effort duplication.

But I love free speech more.