Hello --

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Kenichi Komiya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In [ruby-list:27832], I posted a code snipet that let you create
> a Hash from lists of keys and values.
>
>   hash = Hash.map(%w(Matz Larry), %(Ruby, Perl))
>
>   p hash    # => {"Larry"=>"Perl", "Matz"=>"Ruby"}
>
> The signature of this method looks like:
>
>   Hash.map(keys, vals, def_val=nil)

There were a couple of flurries of discussion about a possible
Hash#from_array and/or Array#to_hash method on this list a few months
ago.  See the thread "best way to interleaf arrays?",
([ruby-talk:6582] and thereafter, especially around the 6610's).  I'm
afraid I'm the one responsible for misspelling "interleave" :-)

>   Q1: Do you think this is worth including to core Ruby?

Yes.  I tend to think in terms of Array#to_hash more than
Hash#from_array, but perhaps both (?).

>   Q2: Do you think the name is confusing?  If so what is good
>       name for this method?

See names above, which I think would be OK.

>   Q3: I belive there was a discussion to create a snipet
>       repository, which archives useful but small code examples.
>       Is this facility already online?

I can only answer from one perspective, namely that of the Ruby
Garden, which is intended to be more of a workshop than a repository,
though possibly that too.  The answer is that it isn't online yet.
However, I defer to others who may have repositories of various
kinds up and running.

David

--
David Alan Black