On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:50:50 +0900, David Ross <drossruby / yahoo.com> wrote:
> Heres food for thought..
>
> What stops someone who has a registered project on
> RubyForge to abuse Gems? A constructive criticism in
> major design flaw. This is why a central repository
> where there is a QA team is good. They can look at
> code.

This is not a design flaw.  It's an add-on feature for RubyForge.  It
has nothing to do with design of RubyGems or RubyForge.  RubyGems'
no-controlled approach is very reminiscent of, say, the way RAA works.
 Or the Web, for that matter.  If you want to inspect a gem before you
install it, it's very much like any other packaging system:  download
the gem, unpack it, look through it, see that it's OK, install it.
The remote repository is a convenience but not at all a necessity.
For the vast majority, it makes things easier.  For the few that
aren't comfortable with it, you have an easy option of not using
auto-installation.

There's nothing stopping someone from putting a QA'd, controlled
repository together with RubyGems.  Just not on my priority list.
Anyone's free to do it if they feel it's valuable, though.

Chad