jmh wrote:
> I'm not currently a Ruby user but have heard about it for a
> while (few years). I've started looking into it and will get
> around to compiling it in the next few weeks but was curious
> how people are using the language. Is it primarily for
> sys admin tasks? Internal applications? External customers?
> Commercial applications?

Personally, I've started to use Ruby for things that I used to use Perl
for. Mainly writing short scripts (1-2 pages) for sysadmin tasks. Or
writing one liners. I've also chosen Ruby instead of Perl for almost
anything above 2-3 pages.

One area where I haven't started using Ruby is web applications. Guess
that's mainly because I'm lazy (which is a virtue, right? :-). I'm
currently using PHP for most web apps. Our PHP installation already has
various extensions installed, so I just need to look at a single PHP
manual to do various stuffs (image manipulation, crypt/MD5/checksumming,
file uploads, session management, database access, etc). It's very
convenient.

I'm sure I'll get around to learning one of the web framework and gems
someday...

--
dave