Tim,

Thanks for your reply on -talk. Hmm, guess I'll cc there.

I'm very interested in this issue, but I don't yet know enough
about .NET (or Mono) to fully grasp it.

Here I'm using Mono and .NET interchangeably -- if there's a
good reason not to, let me know.

There's been talk about an IronRuby (though I wouldn't want to
call it that) to match the IronPython that recently came into
being.

However, I'm not sure exactly what this should consist of:

1. A Ruby interpreter ported to Mono?
2. A native (x86/whatever) interpreter that spits out CIL bytecodes?
3. A combo of these? An interpreter ported to Mono that outputs Mono?
4. A library that simply allows calling the CLR and such?
5. Or something else entirely?

4 seems weak.
1 does also.
2 (essentially cross-compiling) seems inconsistent.
3 tentatively seems best to me.
5 -- who knows?

Thanks for any insights...

Hal