On Monday 09 August 2004 20:00, Richard Lyman wrote:
> I've looked over you website, and I think I can answer my own questions...
>
> AEditor is like Scintilla as FreeRIDE is like SCiTE - right?
>
> I've always mis-understood AEditor as an IDE... but it's a widget.
> Specifically a scriptable programmers source editing widget (kinda
> long winded title :-)  ).
>
> Now it makes sense why you didn't use Scintilla to write your editor -
> you weren't writing an editor, you were writing an 'editing' widget -
> a competitor to Scintilla.

Yes, this is pretty much the idea.

An editor component which both can be used in GUI and TUI, on different
platforms, where one only needs one configuration file. Because its an
component it should be easy to write another frontend, eg gtk or cocoa.

I originally wrote aeditor in C++, and wanted to embed ruby as its scripting
language.. did lot of experiments with embedding.. and finally began writing
a prototype of aeditor in ruby. Now everything is written entirely in Ruby
and speed is ok, so I guess I have no need for C++ anylonger.

I am interested in supporting pair programming, but so far little work really
has been done investigating this area.

Maybe I make an attempt to embed aeditor into freeride, at some point.

Thanks for your interest in aeditor ;-)

--
Simon Strandgaard