<snip: everything other is discussed widely to my
full satisfaction :) >
Robert Klemme wrote:

>>> o1 = Class.new
> => #<Class:0x1018ab58>
>>> o2 = o1.new
> => #<#<Class:0x1018ab58>:0x10188d70>
>>> o2.class
> => #<Class:0x1018ab58>
>>> p1 = Object.new
> => #<Object:0x10185b30>
>>> p2 = p1.new
> NoMethodError: undefined method `new' for #<Object:0x10185b30>
> fromirb):6
>
> You can create instances of a class but not of an object.
class C1
  include Singleton
end
p2 = C1.new #=> NoMethodError: private method `new' called...

You cannot create instances of some classes as well. Now is a singleton
 class more like a class or more like an object?
I am not yet convinced that the differences are that big.
ok, its called in another manner but largely behaving the same way. why
should Object not just be another special class as C1 is?

btw. thanks for your patience

regards,

benny