On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:53:50 +0900, jm wrote
> The scenario is the need to rewrite a request for dummy.example.com
> to another directory. The reasoning behind this is a quirk in our
> current set up so we can map algorithmically map and it would
> involve too many rewrite rules to handle manually. The problem is
> that this seems to be working to the point of modifying the filename,
>  but apache returns 403 to the browser and logs

I just woke up and my head hurts and I'm operating off the top of my head,
here, to take this for what it's worth (LOL) but I believe what you want to
do here is to use mod_ruby to write a translation handler so that your code
can give Apache a different address to use during the address translation
phase.  The mod_ruby directive is

RubyTransHandler CLASSNAME

Hope that helps,

Kirk Haines