Mark Hubbart wrote:

> I think I speak for more users than myself when I say that FireFox and
> Thunderbird are *not* Mac apps. Yes, they do pretty good, but they need
> to go a a bit further before they  will be able to compete with the
> other mac web browsers, IMHO.  My main gripe is that, even after the
> major changes they made to make it more mac-like, they still behave
> strangely. There a only a couple places left where there are major
> deviations from the usual mac app, but there are many items that behave
> almost, but not quite, like what you would expect. I think that this  is
> especially a problem for more advanced users, since they are more likely
> to notice the differences.

Honestly, if you ask me, the biggest problem with firefox/thunderbird is
speed. The interfaces for firefox and thunderbird are pretty sluggish,
and scrolling under firefox has a really strange feel to it, like it's
really really lagged.

However, the original point was valid. Mozilla's XUL interface has come
a long way, and while it still needs a ton of optimization and a few
more behavioral tweaks on OSX, it really has worked out quite well
otherwise as a cross-platform GUI toolkit. It has a native feel on linux
and windows and a very close to native feel on OSX.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's quite able to be used as a standalone
gui toolkit (Though, it could very well be. After all, thunderbird does
use it), but I really haven't done much reading on the subject.

--
Rando Christensen
<eyez / illuzionz.org>