Lothar Scholz wrote:

> The problem is different, it's not only an API question.
>
> You simply can't generate a cross-platform GUI intensive application.
> Point. Thats it. Thats what you must accept. It is possible with
> Windows <-> Linux just because the Linux toolkits look much like the
> windows Styleguide and where born more or less as with windows in
> mind.

I'm quite familiar with apple's HIG and the differences between it and
the way applications look and feel in Linux and Windows. However, I
think you're a bit off in calling it impossible. It would require a
toolkit that made you know and account for the quirks of different
operating systems, but it's far from impossible.

However, speaking on a more practical level, A lot of people would just
be happy with being able to write code that looks decent and doesn't
require too much work to set up on any individual target platform.

It's possible. Hell, hop on a mac and download the neat Gimp package
that exists. Yes, it's GTK, and yes, it even requires X11 to be
installed. However, it comes in an OSX .app bundle, comes pre-packaged
with it's own copy of gtk+ in there with it's own theme, and even knows
how to launch X11 on it's own when it launches. It's nowhere close to
fully native, but it's good enough not to scare people away.

It'd be a bit of work to write a toolkit that could create something
like that, either through using native widgets or whatever, but it is
possible, and it's something I wish we'd see come up.

--
Rando Christensen
<eyez / illuzionz.org>