On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 02:30:20 +0900, Michael Neumann wrote

> This sounds really good. But is it possible to generate "real" images
> (jpg, png) on-the-fly? Generating the image is no problem, but
> associating the image data with an URL is a bit harder. I tried this
> in Borges, and it did work, but it was a bit awkward IIRC.

That's the idea.  David just sent me his stuff a week or so ago, and I've
been pretty busy, so I haven't had a chance to do much with it, yet.

> And, is there a way to split the .iwa files into pure Ruby files
> (.rb) and binding files (.whatever)? Or allow Ruby code at the
> beginning of an .iwa file without the need to surround it with <%
> ... %>. For example, I don't want to change the .iwa file if a
> binding changes. And I want the Ruby source code to be syntax-
> highlighted (do you have a vim syntax definition for .iwa files? ;-).

I'll add the splitting of bindings from the .rb files.  I've thought about
it a bunch but haven't done it because I'm lazy.  :)  Off the top of my
head, I'll probably use .bnd for a bindings file unless someone has a better
suggestion.  So:

Index.html
Index.iwa
Index.bnd

And yes, in fact, you don't need to wrap ruby code in the <% %> in a .rb
file.  That was a legacy thing that I got rid of quite a while ago.  If one
does that, it still works, so the old stuff still works without changes, but
there is no need to do it now unless one is putting the code section and the
html section into the same file.

Index.iwa
-----
import 'Header'
import 'Footer'

class Index < Iowa::Component

# blah blah blah

end

# Bindings are still in the .rb file, mostly because of laziness.
<?
  fooList {
    item = foo
    list = foos
  }
?>
-----

For vim, I just added .iwa to the list of extensions that the ruby syntax
highliting module recognizes.

Hope that helps,

Kirk