Hi,

--- Roeland Moors <roelandmoors / pandora.be> wrote:

> I'm thinking of writing an IDE for a
> microcontroller.
> This IDE will be written in ruby/GTK.
> I also need an editor in this IDE.
> Are there any existing editor components I can use?
> Maybe a bonobo component?
>
> I could write one from scratch, but that seems a
> waste of time.
>
> I'm new to all this, is there someone with tips,
> links?

There are a couple of components that you can use:
- GtkSourceView - which doesn't have a port to Windows
yet (I think). Mono-sharp uses it, for example.
- Scintilla - which has ports to Windows, though one
of them is for Fox. I'm not aware of a port (to
Windows) that uses Ruby/GTK. FreeRIDE uses it, for
example.

I've got syntax coloring for Ruby from Ruby/GTK by
using the AEditor Ruby Lexer:
http://geocities.com/canalruby/ruby_editor.html
GtkSourceView should work very similarly to it, 'cause
both use TextView.

I'm slowly developing this new Ruby Editor, though the
priority is to develop the Gtk_Rules library. :-)

> If such a component doesn't exists, what would be
> the best way to
> make it? (I don't mean how to create the editor, but
> how to make
> it as a component)
>
> thanks,
>
> Roeland Moors