Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:10835] Re: perform. of Dir["**/*"]"
    on 01/02/14, "Richard Hensh" <hensh / math.msu.edu> writes:

|> dir_list.rb
|24776 files
|30.383 seconds
|
|> dir_list.rb
|24776 files
|18.336 seconds
|
|Even though I'm not seeing the times that matz quotes, this is a huge
|performance increase on my box (Pentium 800 w/ 256 mg on win2k) and I'm
|happy. Now I have a couple of questions.

My result was made when all direcotry information was on cache
(several times slower on first try).  This might not possible on
Windows filesystem.

|1. Does anyone know what will happen to the 'hacked' version on dir.c in
|future releases of ruby? Or do I need to keep track of that file myself?
|(This question may not even be correctly phrased but I'm not a C/C++
|programmer.)

This patch will be merged into standard distribution.  So you will see
this one in 1.6.3 (and in daily stable snapshots).

|2. On a related issue, as far as ruby extensions go, I've noticed 3
|approaches. The distributions come with either 'setup.rb', 'extconf.rb', or
|a 'makefile'. I can't tell why one method is chosen over another. Can anyone
|help me out here?

I prefer `extconf.rb', because I designed it.  I've heard `setup.rb'
has rich set of functionality.  I don't use it just because I'm
ignorant.

|3. Now that I've compiled ruby it will be difficult to return to the
|precompiled versions so I'm guessing that I'll need a better understanding
|of the make (nmake) utility (and probably 'patch' as well). I have a bunch
|of questions related to the make utility. Can anyone suggest a general FAQ
|regarding these so that I don't have to bother this group with OT questions?
|;->

I don't know.  Sorry.

							matz.