On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:42:03 +0900, Michael Neumann <mneumann / ntecs.de> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> Hi, folks. Alan and I have done a number of extensive changes on
>> Ruwiki. I am getting ready to check in one of the
>> longest-promised changes: the switch to a new back-end file
>> format. I have a few more changes to make (a couple of YAML
>> problems likely related to the use of Ruby 1.8.1 and some known
>> bugs with it).
> If you click on preview, you lose anything typed in the "Edit
> Comment" field. Would be nice to preserve this field.

Hmm. I think we can manage that. I have some changes that I'm
checking in today or tomorrow (okay, so it wasn't in by Tuesday, but
what I have is, IMO, more robust).

> And of course it would be nice to see diffs in RecentChanges.

Hmm. Diff viewing isn't complete. Truth be told, because of some
issues I'm facing with diff handling on various backends, diff
creation has gone from stable to unstable. This means that diff
viewing is definitely going to be a post-0.8 target because I'd like
to have 0.8 out by the middle of August, and I have several other
changes that *must* be made to attempt to stabilise the API for
token creation and a few other things. (It's also made more complex
now because wiki pages have a significant amount of metadata
included in them now and the metadata has to be properly handled as
well.)

If you mean "links to view the diffs from RecentChanges", then when
diff viewing is complete, that will satisfy everything. However, if
you mean "viewing the diffs directly in RecentChanges", that's a
different story entirely, as RecentChanges is itself an editable
page. I don't personally know how often that this would be used, but
Alan convinced me that this is a Good Idea, rather than using a
command. Because RecentChanges is an editable page, it will not be
possible to generate the diffs inside of RecentChanges without an
exponential growth. What we may be able to do is improve the
RecentChanges recording process (when diff is stable again) to
indicate something like:

  * 2004.08.04 08:42, FooBar [+5, -3]: edited FooBar

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca