>From: Neil Galarneau <ngalarneau / mediaone.net>
>To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML), ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp
>Subject: [ruby-talk:10820] accessing password protected web page
>Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:40:03 +0900
>
>I'm a ruby newbie.  (great language!)
>
>I'm using ruby to automate some tasks I have and would like to
>use it to fetch a file from a password protected web page (i.e. when
>I type the url into the web browser, it responds with a
>Username/Password
>popup which I must fillin BEFORE it shows me the page).
>
>I looked through THE book and didn't see anything that seemed
>relevant.
>
>Is there a way to do this in ruby?  What did I miss?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Neil

I'm not positive if this will work or not, but I remember seeing something
about a fairly unused feature which consists of placing the username and
password in the url

http://myuser:mypass / www.somesite.com/something/somepage.html

So, maybe try that.  I can't think of a site that I can try this on, so
consider it untested.  Let us know if it works.

Mike Wilson
Unix Administrator
http://ruby.weblogs.com