i have a bit of code that packs an flock struct

   struct flock {
      short l_type;    /* Type of lock: F_RDLCK,
                          F_WRLCK, F_UNLCK */
      short l_whence;  /* How to interpret l_start:
                          SEEK_SET, SEEK_CUR, SEEK_END */
      off_t l_start;   /* Starting offset for lock */
      off_t l_len;     /* Number of bytes to lock */
      pid_t l_pid;     /* PID of process blocking our lock
                          (F_GETLK only) */
   };

using 'ssqqi' (thanks to matz for this tip).  this works for linux, but i'm
sure it won't for other *nixes with different flock layouts.  if i understand
ruby dl there is no way to portably set the fields of a struct unless you
already know it's layout, so packing is just as good in this case (please
correct me if i'm wrong).  what i'm asking for people on various *nixes to
post their struct flock definitions so i can add appropriate pack templates
for those.

this output of

   ruby -r rbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["arch"]'

would also be useful

if there is an easier way to do this - some online resource where i could find
this info - please let me know

thanks alot.

-a