Hi --

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Jesse Jones wrote:

> In article <126117684609.20040802210655 / scriptolutions.com>, Lothar
> Scholz <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello jim,

> > jfo> I've heard Matz say that Ruby will not support macros.
> >
> > And i hope that he never changes his opinion at this topic.
> >
> > jfo> They are too easily abused and can mutate the language.
> >
> > They easily make code much more unreadable.
>
> Banning a feature because it can be misused is a pretty weak rationale.

I think it's more a question of a judgement being made (by Matz) that
it is very likely to be misused, and/or that even routine use of it
would take the language in directions he doesn't want to go.

In any case -- don't think of it as banning a feature, any more than
Beethoven "banned" the flute from his cello sonatas.  Flute and cello
can go well together, but I wouldn't want to give up those pieces :-)

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net