In article <FWwPc.791$Bci.243 / news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
Kevin Howe <khowe / perfnet.ca> wrote:
>I've been contemplating using Ruby for an upcoming large project, but became
>concerned when I learned that the next versions of Ruby (1.9, 2.0) will
>include sweeping backwards-incompatible changes (ref:
>http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?Rite). Does this not raise some concern with
>Ruby developers? There seems to be little talk about this on the mailing
>lists, but it's a considerable issue for projects running in full production
>environments.

First off, Ruby 2.0 is a long ways off so there should be plenty of time
to prepare.

Perl6 is also going to be totally incompatible with Perl5 - however, they
are planning to have a means for running (or converting) older scripts.  We
should also have some kind of strategy for running older code.

I think we do definately need more discussion about upcoming
incompatibities so we can develop a strategy for dealing with it - as far
as I know we've got some time to come up with a plan.

Phil