Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> George Moschovitis wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> one of the features of the LISP family of languages that is missing from
>> Ruby are macros. I think they are useful on a lot of occasions so
>> I would like to see Ruby support macros in the future.
>

> What you have defined are more like C macros, rather than LISP macros,
> which are hygienic (they operate at the level of syntactic elements,
> rather than characters).

Would Ruby macros, in the Lisp sense, have to manipulate the AST?

And a question (ideally) for Matz, but comments from anyone else are of
course welcome:

Would true macros in Ruby be more prone to abuse than they are in Lisp?

Is there something different about Ruby such that what (supposedly)
works to such acclaim in Lisp would be inappropriate in Ruby?

Thanks,

James