Graham,

> I've downloaded the vim-ruby stable files :
> But now when I run gvim, I get various problems:
> E492: Not an editor command ^M
> It looks like the file is a dos file (CR/LF at EOL, instead of
> just LF), but when I fix this, I lose the colour highlighting.

    You definitely need to remove the Ctrl-M's from the .vim files
before using them.  If this causes you to lose your syntax highlighting,
there is some other problem.

> BTW, Someone (sorry, I forget who) pointed me at these files
> saying that I could use %, but I think he missed my point,
> which was to be able to press % on an if , and have vi move to
> teh corresponding end, rather than simply jump to the next [
> or (, which is not especially useful, IMNSHO.  Have I merely
> cocked it up, and these files should do this?

    As far as % moving from an "if" to its matching "end", these file
won't help you.  The closest you are going to get is the matchit.vim
plugin (:help matchit), which still isn't going to do this, but you
might be able to modify it to do what you want.

    Sorry for the bad news...

    - Warren Brown