>> What microphone did you get?  I've been considering getting one for a
>> while and didn't know which one to get.  I have a 12" iBook which I
>> don't think has a conventional input port.
>
> Just to say I would be interested to know what the microphone is.
>
> I have a friend that is interested in being all to record some
> lectures he is attending onto his laptop but wants a decent mike for
> the job.

Sorry to forget about this thred. I got a Sony ECM-MS907. It's not
really optimal for the purpose as it's a handheld mic, so I have to
tuck it into my shirt to hold it up while I use both hands at the
computer. It works better than it sounds, but I'd prefer having either
a headset with a good mic or a TV-mic (you know, one of those
clip-ons).

I've just been doing some tests last night (I promised to do a demo of
TextMate[1] as well) and the sound quality is pretty decent. For
recording lectures, though, you want a room mic. And a pretty strong
one at that. My mic is really meant for interviews, so it's extremely
good at blocking out all of the surrounding sounds. Or everything
coming from the audience.

P.S.: For Macs without audio-in, you want to get the Griffin iMic[2].

[1] http://www.macromates.com
[2] http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,