I personally use Emacs in the console and sometimes in
X. There is a ruby-mode.el in the ruby-stable
snapshot. I think it is written by matz. I am curious
of Matz uses emacs or just wrote the script for fun.
Emacs syntax highlighting is great. Learning emacs is
a big learning curve, but worth it. It lets you have
uber speed at all the keybinds. There is an IDE for
Emacs that works in the console and in GUI form called
"ECB"
The Emacs Code Browser. It is fairly decent.

http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

There is also great vim support, vim has a IDE
enviroment just like emacs, it is called, "taglist".

http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/taglist/

These are the two main ones I consider good for coding
in. ECB does not have support for Ruby though. You can
add it in if you have a little extra time to read
semantics document on lexing in Ruby. --David