I personally think they were redesigning the GUI
toolkit and making it better on the embedded
platforms. Take a look at the differences between far
back release and this release. Ex. the scrollbars look
exactly like Xt on the old version, the new ones are
redesigned. Also, the scrollbars have this neat
feature I like, when you click, it goes all the way
down to the bottom of the screen.*which is good for
embedded devices, maybe even useful on desktop* I am
not 100% sure why, but code was changed and added. Big
improvements were made on it.

Its obviously a good toolkit to use for portability,
good UTF8 support, and ease of use(dispite the little
tiny things).

The license is a big issue, LGPL and GPL make it
extremely difficult to use in proprietary
applications. MIT or free equivalent is better. That
way you do not have to say in documentation that you
are using it(unless you want to). I dislike being
forced to do things, I will however tell that I use
Widestudio because it doesn't hold a knife to my neck
if I do not.

The fact that it is for embedded systems made me most
interested. Other toolkits are based just on the
desktop and are very unstable on embedded systems,
WideStudio nor its toolkit has given me any trouble.

--David Ross

--David Ross

--- Lothar Scholz <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com>