Lothar Scholz wrote:

> EV> [... ] At least, it's simpler...
>
> Simpler ? I don't think so. Not for the creation side because you
> still have to specify the files you want. And also not for the user
> side where more things can happen (out of disk space, wrong env
> variables, no access rights).
>
> But it has one real advantage. In systems where you need to start a
> few scripts maybe with 'popen("ruby.exe")' from the the main script,
> the disk overhead will be much much less.
>
> But to be honest, in such cases i prefer an "setup.exe" file. In fact
> i don't think that the 'my friends want only one exe file' argument is
> is really important. The difference between a generated *.exe and a
> setup.exe is not so big.

I can see certain advantages to the AIOR approach.  One is
psychological.  Sys admins or IT mangers may be less hostile to a single
(albeit relatively large) application file than to a cluster of
directories and files.  Aside from taking less disk space, it "looks"
smaller.  Hey, it's just one file.

Anyways, thanks Erik for helping me understand this better, and for
making it available.

I've only played a bit with exerb, so I don't know that I could make a
meaningful comparison.    But AIOR looks quite interesting.

james