On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:16:57 +0900, James Britt wrote:

> Erik Veenstra wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:43:15 +0900, James Britt wrote:
> >
> > > Or bundle AIOR with some Ruby GUI app, and kick the whole
> > > thing off with a .bat file that launches AIOR, passing in
> > > my Ruby application?
> >
> > Don't mix the term "Ruby" and the term "Ruby with all the
> > other stuff" (like Fox libraries, TCL/TK libraries, etc).
> > I'm talking about "Ruby".
>
> I'm having a hard time, then picturing a concrete use for
> this.

Hmmm... I made it because I had concrete use for it. Not the
other way aroung...

An example. My boss expects me to program on his IBM mainframe.
That's where he pays me for. Nowadays, 3270-emulators are used
as terminals, instead of the good old green screens... Big Blue
gave us HLLAPI (High Level Language API), which is a way to
program the interaction with the emulator, although the
emulator still thinks it's a human-being that is in control.
Over the years, I made a lot of scripts to cope with tests,
quick downloads, ditto upload, log filtering, etc. My
colleagues are not stupid and say "That's nice! Can I have it."
So they need Ruby, but not necessarily a full blown
installation. Besides that, it's not possible to install
anything on our machines. There's not much more than a network
share and a tempdir. So I bound .rb to H:\allinoneruby.exe ...

> Can you give some examples where this works better than, say,
> exerb?

Did I say it was better?... At least, it's simpler...

gegroet,
Erik V.