Robert Feldt:
> I fully agree. We shouldn't start an advocacy "war"/dispute.

John van V:
Glad you agree, dont worry about religous wars... I'm a pacifist ;)

> I guess it might be a good thing to have a web page with stats
>          ...but I doubt it would change his view of Ruby as of now.

I had a blue-collar background prior to becoming a Unix admin.  I never
expected much logic to come down from corporate management, but over the past
year I have seen the same illogic come from the "un-managed" free s/w industry.

Ruby, python, perl are less than half a decade old in their present
incarnations, where as the peer-review process predates the days when doctors
figured out that they have to wash their hands before surgery.

In terms of Perl, many, if not most, CPAN modules are suspect; attempts at
repair usually die in flame wars.  Perl 5.6 was falsely named "stable"
deliberately to move it into a wider testing space.  This is ruining our
reputation.  It looks like this decision was made by ActiveState and supported
by OReilly thru perl.com .  Behind both those companies are AOL and Microsoft.
There is a perler who was on the inside who shared monoply-conspiracy
information w/ me that I can't relate in detail.

Since peer-review is the perl QA process, and the peers are starting to look
pretty lame, perl needs a new quality paradigm.  Field testing comes to mind,
tho the mutual respect and support necessary for this effect is in very short
supply.

How this affects ruby I dont know, but I bet ruby and python are safe as long
as they remain below the radar.  So maybe we should thank ESR

=====
John van Vlaanderen