>> How about a command-line switches with intelligent defaults? E.g.
>> --with-bluecloth=system

> That's beginning to sound like work for all involved.

> In principal, having multiple copies of a lib laying around
> shouldn't have to be a problem.  Disk space is now cheap.
> Having a copy of something in local relative directory shouldn't
> be an issue if the code that wants to use it is the only code
> that knows about it.  Many libraries take less space than the
> accompanying change log files that list every minor alteration
> since day zero.

True. My only concern is what happened to Java apps a couple of years
back: you saw everyone shipping their own internal jre and refusing to
work with the system. Very annoying. As a community, I think we should
try to make ruby-gems more pervasive. Hopefully it will get into the
std-lib soon.

> Packaging trivia:  The tar.gz file for BlueCloth 0.0.4b is 38kb.
> The bluecloth.rb file, the one that actually does the work, is
> 31kb uncompressed.

The wonders of modern technology :-)