I'm writing some code that depends on MIME::Types, and works better with
(but does not depend on) BlueCloth.

I'd like to package my code as both a Gem and as a more conventional
"install using cp" bundle.

What sort of project directory layout might work best?

Gem will go fetch dependencies, so I think I'm covered there (I can
leave these other files out of the gem and list them as dependencies),
but what might be some good installation techniques when not using a
Ruby gem?

I'm thinking now of putting the third-party Ruby files into a local
subdirectory of the installed code, and munging the load path in my
code, prior to calling require, to add this local directory.  If the
user already has mime/types.rb, great, the global version gets called.
Otherwise 'require' should be able to find the copy installed in the
relative directory.

Thoughts?

James