On Thursday 29 July 2004 12:51, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Sean O'Dell wrote:
> > But for a single file it shouldn't be tricky.
>
> unless you are on something pervasive, and evil, like NFS...  i agree in
> general with you and have done alot of that too.  just wanted to point out
> some pitfalls.

Oh, okay, I understand.  Extend that then to make it a general rule: NEVER use
file locks as semaphores on any file system which doesn't support it properly
or when failure of the file system is common (disconnects).  To anyone who
uses file locks on NFS, Samba, mounted FTP shares, etc.: /salute.

	Sean O'Dell