> I'm a cgikit user as everyone knows by now ;-) and I like the way how
> this is abstracted: you can write your own session storing class and
> tell your app to use it. Is this possible (or something similar) with
> Rails? I looked at the doc but only saw a reference to a drb session
> daemon. (did I miss the right place in the doc?)

Rails uses CGI::Session and will take any store for that. By default it
uses the PStore, which is a file-based store that uses Marshal to allow
all kinds of objects in it. It's very easy to use and scale, but
unfortunately it's also quite slow. In some benchmarks I did, it was
responsible for a 50% speed decrease over other methods, such as the
MemoryStore.

You can specify another Store than the default in the dispatcher. Have
a look at vendor/railties/dispatcher.rb.

On that note, does anyone have a database store for CGI::Session? It
would be nice to ship that with Rails as an option.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyonrails.org/  -- Web-application framework for Ruby