Avi Bryant <avi / beta4.com> wrote:

> To introduce a further heresy: why restrict the use of the real
> programming language to logic (conditions, loops, etc)?  Wouldn't it
> be nice to use a real programming language, with real abstraction, for
> the rest of the template too, instead of a just markup language?  A
> lot of problems simply go away if you use Ruby to generate the HTML
> directly rather than messing around with templates, bindings, and
> embedded code.

This is something I've been wanting for a long time, but I've never seen
a good implementation of it. What I want is both a powerful programming
language, and a reasonably declarative way of specifying the layout
(including things like significant whitespace - this is IMO somewhere
where it makes sense).

martin