--- Mathieu Bouchard and Robert Feldt wrote:
> > I agree that the Ruby subset we write RubyVM components in should be a
> > real subset of Ruby. However ...
...  it'll not be easy and will require tight integration with a VM/run-time.

>...We could then write a Ruby-- interpreter in Ruby, and then compile it in C.

> we will still be closer to eliminating C code completely (not that I see any
> need for that)

This is really interesting, I am an admin, not a C coder :( but I am an admin
and scripting cultist, just starting in Ruby.

I have been following the Perl6 development on perl6_internals mailing list and
many of the same questions come up.  Writing Ruby in ruby {to borrow from
(P|p)erl} seems like pure brillance to me both in perl and ruby.

There was also talk of attaching various interperters (translators?) to a
single VM, (presumably the perl one) using expertise from blackdown, python,
etc.  Pieces of both the interpreters and VMs could be switched in and out in
the makefiles or dynamically as code improves or refines.  There could be for
public s/w a single dynamic VM.

While this makes all kinds of sense it may not come to pass, yet the knowlege
sharing can (and should) happen.  Obviously documentation is the key, not a
strong Perl point ( despite its superior text handling capabilities :( ).

This is why I have been advocating a joining of Perl's Artistic License and the
GPL.  Code could be dragged back and forth w/o fear of litigation.  Frankly the
differences arent that obvious that a judge could tell them apart.  This is
where I fear the Opensource movement is failing-- it naturally includes work
for lawyers.

John

=====
John van Vlaanderen