"Stephan Kš╬per" <Stephan.Kaemper / Schleswig-Holstein.de> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:2mad8rFkqh7mU1 / uni-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for that answer (this goes to Assaph too, of course).
>
> Robert Klemme wrote:
> >
> > If there are no special requirements for your object ids I suggest to
use
> > Object#id and ObjectSpace#_id2ref:
>
> I'll add that to my notes and think about it.

I'm still wondering what you're at...

> > You could better use a Set here.  That saves you the inefficient check
> > (with an Array this is O(n) where n is the number of oids stored so
far;
> > with a Set (hash internally) it's ~ O(1)).
>
> Thanks for the tip - I'm currently still in the second of the three
> phases (Make it run, make it right, make it fast)... :-)

Well, in that case I'd say performance is a nice add on but the real
benefit is that you use the appropriate abstraction: you really want a
set, so use a set.

> > I'd go for add_ref1 - although you should uncover a bit more of the
> > problem you are solving.
>
> Yes, in the meantime I've come to that conclusion, too.
> Having worked for an object-oriented database vendor some time ago,
> things like traversing object networks, persistence and similar themes
> come to my mind now and then...

:-))

> Happy rubying

Always! :-)