--8323328-1315091075-1090551896991

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Tanaka Akira wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.60.0407220742560.5080 / harp.ngdc.noaa.gov>,
>  "Ara.T.Howard" <ahoward / noaa.gov> writes:
>
>>    IO.read
>>
>>      actively takes characters from IO until EOF is found
>>
>>    IO.receive
>>
>>      passively receives any waiting characters from IO
>
> I see.
>
> However, another problem is it is confusing with BasicSocket#recv.
> --
> Tanaka Akira

i wouldn't chose the word 'confusing' - reading the man page of recv makes it
sound VERY close to what you want.  however, using exactly 'recv' WOULD be
confusing...  checking on dictionary.com for receive :

   Entry:   receive
   Function:   verb
   Definition:   accept
   Synonyms:   accept, acquire, admit, apprehend, appropriate, arrogate, assume, be given, be informed, be told, catch, collect, come by, come into, cop, corral, derive, draw, earn, gain, gather, get, get from, grab, hear, hold, inherit, make, obtain, perceive, pick up, pocket, procure, pull, pull down, reap, redeem, secure, seize, snag, take, take in, take possession, win
   Concept:   taking
   Source:   Roget's New MillenniumThesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
   Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

   Entry:   receive

so i'd suggest

   receive
   accept
   reap

i like the sound of

   IO#reap

alot, eg. :

   #
   # read all chars available on pipe
   #
     buf = pipe.reap

i think this method is much needed and no name exists for something like it.
if we pick one that is memorable people will use it and remember it.

cheers.

-a