This is a an email that I sent just yesterday to perlers:
     To:
         Edward Peschko <edwardp / corp.home.net>, Simon Cozens
<simon / cozens.net>
     CC:
         perl6-porters / perl.org

Hiya, I wasnt expecting this but here is my $.02,

Eric Raymond, is interesting but his contribtution is going to cause a
lot more
grief than contracting revenue and salary bonuses.

Perl is frozen at 5.5.3 for me, which is not a problem.  I would like a
virtual
machine built into the kernel, but more than anything, my industry
(unix) needs
a rock solid kernel to get control of the operations.

Edward Peschko and Simon Cozens :

--- Robert Feldt <feldt / ce.chalmers.se> wrote:

> Ruby is mentioned in the current version of a new chapter for
> Eric S. Raymond's not yet finished book "The Art Of Unix Programming"
> (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/). The last sentence of "Chapter
> 3: To C or Not To C?":
>
> "Recent efforts such as Ruby (a sort of Python-Perl-Smalltalk cross
> developed in Japan) and Squeak (an open-source Smalltalk port) have so far
> neither attracted hackers far outside their development groups nor
> demonstrated staying power."
> (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/chapter3.html)
>
> Anyone agrees / have comments?
>
> /Robert